I do a lot of different things as a teacher, one of them is to help my clients forth in their life. I want to share an example of what I do, to show you the variety. I will keep posting these, so you can use them for inspiration in your own program. I made a simple program for an Indian friend, as per her wishes.
This is not so much based on Ayurvedic principles, more on her request.
She is lean, but her lifestyle has changed the last few months. She asked me for some simple asana to add to her routine, to get her body back into shape. She is not doing much physical these days, and wants to keep healthy. Her request is now to get more flexible, and strong. This particular woman is already familiar with Asana, pranyama, meditation and so forth, basically the spiritual side of yoga.
She requested something for both morning and evening time.
Hold breath while jumping and use Uddjiana band. If possible also use moolaband
- More poses with legs, strength and balance, and they will wake your body up
- Feel free to change postures once you’re familiar with them
- Do vinyasa in between postures – more warm
- Try and incorporate ujjai breath for agni
- In morning/day time, try and think that you have to engage all your muscles in each pose, like legs, and tight arms
- 5-10 breaths in each postures
- Use Uddjiana band in most asana.
- Legs Engaged!!
You don’t have to do ALL the asana, but see how you feel that day.
Morning Asana program
Standing side bending
- 5 breaths on each side
5 Sun salutations (Ashtanga style)
- Gives heath in the body and strength. Try and do jump backs. In time incorporate jump forward.
- When you do a vinyasa remember this
- Elbows CLOSE to the side on chaturanga to Upward dog
- Do knees – chest – chin vinyasa – small cobra for vinyasa
- Stay 8-10 breaths on each leg to get strength and heat
- Sink the hips down to stretch the front of the thigh
- Arms – choose between:
- Straight up
- Clenched hands behind the back
- Namaste mudra
- Relaxed shoulders
- Switch up with using both side
- or just do one side one day (swhitch palm is on the floor)
- Open the chest
Utkatasana/Chair posture (traditionally on your toes)
- Arms parallel to ground
- Experiment with closing your eyes
- Knee can also be on the floor
- Press knee to arm
- Grab the ankle on the back leg (try first one side, then the other arm – feel it)
Half moon pose
- You can also do a twist – opposite arm to opposite leg
Have these points in mind when you do them:
- Make the back elongated
- Chest forward/long back
- LEGS ENGAGED
Sitting forward fold/pashimottatansa
Eka pada mukha tiryang
Cow face posture
- Try and fold forward
- Both butt cheeks on ground
Sitting wide legged forward fold
- Do both with closed feet and with open like a book.
- Arms can be front the legs or resting on legs
- It’s so good for your digestion
- Open shoulders to the side – wide chest
- Leg engaged
- Core engaged
Bjujangasana/cobra pose (dynamic)
- Suck in the buttocks
- Suck in belly
- Inhale up, exhale down – 5-10 times
Salamba sirasana/Urdva vriksahna/tripod headstand
- Anything reverse (Urdva mukha is not enough 😛 )
Wind release pose
SAVASANA – wuhuuu
Evening Asana program
The morning Asana you can do until around 5pm. This evening program is more for winding down and sleep. Hold postures longer. Between 10-20 breaths.
Try and be relaxed. In the daytime its all about utilizing muscles. You can do ALL the sitting postures in the evening. Just less effort. Relax. Let go.
Less asana – more time relaxing. More time in each pose.
- Just to warm up
- Feel every inch of the spine
- Micro bend elbows
Childs pose/Side pose
Happy baby pose
Ball of feet towards ceiling